A significant number of Americans will need physical therapy at one point in their life. Maybe they’ll get a surgery and need it to regain their strength, or maybe they’ll start dealing with chronic pain later in life and need some physical therapy to help them alleviate or mitigate the pain. There are lots of different reasons why someone might consider physical therapy, but the point here is that most people will need it at some point. The key to ensuring that the physical therapy you get actually helps you with the issues you’re dealing with is to find a great physical therapy clinic with clinicians who really know what they’re doing. Unfortunately, there are a lot of clinics out there that look at their patients more as a means to make money than as people who need assistance. That’s wrong. To ensure that you end up finding a physical therapist who actually helps you deal with the physical issues you’re struggling with, here are five things to look for in a PT clinic.
1. Strong Reputation/Great Reviews. The first thing to look for in a physical therapy clinic is that they have a strong reputation and great reviews. Their past customers should have nothing but positive things to say about them, and they should be well-known in their field for providing quality physical rehabilitation to every single one of their patients.
2. Knowledge of your Specific Physical Issues. Whether you go in to see them because of your chronic back pain or because you recently had a knee surgery, you need to be certain that they know how to help you with your issue. It’s okay to ask over the phone to make sure that the physical therapist that you’re going to see knows how to treat you for whatever issue you’re dealing with.
3. Thorough. It’s always a good idea to pick a physical therapist who is thorough. The more questions they ask you and the more they try to get to know your specific situation, the more information they’re going to have, which will allow them to better treat you. Only work with physical therapists who are thorough with each patient they see.
4. Friendly/Thoughtful/Good Customer Service. Fourth, try and find a physical therapist who greets you with a smile when you walk through the door and who offers great customer service. You’re going to be spending a lot of time with them, so you need to feel comfortable.
5. Transparent. Finally, you should look for a clinic that’s transparent. They should be upfront about whether they take your insurance, how much each visit is going to cost, and how long they think it’s going to take before you’re feeling better and ready to go. The more transparent they are with you, the more confident you can feel that you know exactly what you’re being charged and how many visits you’re going to need.
Colorado Orthopedic Rehabilitation Specialists is an example of a great clinic that certainly brings all five of these things to the table. Their outstanding reputation is well deserved.